Let's Talk About Movies: Mini-Review of Best Picture Noms

Tomorrow's the big day for Oscar junkies, including me! I didn't get to all of them this year, but I saw six of the nine. Here's my take on them, in the order in which I saw them (oldest to newest). My Diet Coke scale is like stars -- one to five.

"Lady Bird," Two-and-a-Half Diet Cokes
I lived through age 18 and it turns out that I abhor reliving it via angsty movies. There's nothing wrong with this flick, per se. But I thought it was just OK. People yell a lot, there's awkward high school sex, people trying to be who they think they should be instead of who they are. I wish I liked it more, but I wasn't as enchanted by it as most. (Spent a lot of time thinking about the coffee and cookie I was going to buy at the amazing coffee shop up the street before I went home.)

"The Shape of Water," Four Diet Cokes
I expected to have a hard time being drawn into this narrative because I'd heard talk of how weird it was. I left the theater enchanted. I thought the acting was amazing, especially from Sally Hawkins and Richard Jenkins (her neighbor). I found myself mesmerized by the world — the costumes, the scenery. The narrative was delightful. Didn't look at my watch or give much thought to my post-movie coffee and cookie, either. I also saw this movie on a frigid day in January and I left feeling warm despite the cold. Good stuff here.

"I, Tonya," Four Diet Cokes
This movie was robbed in the nominations. It definitely deserved a nod for Best Picture. Yes, Margot Robbie and Allison Janney got credit where credit is due, but this movie was unique. It was so well done. I was sucked in from the minute the lights went down. It took a story we all thought we knew and flipped it on its head. I loved it. I'm so mad it wasn't nominated for Best Picture, but I'm fully behind Robbie and Janney tomorrow night.

"Three Billboards," Five Diet Cokes
Man, just when you think you know Sam Rockwell he proves that he's capable of amazing things. It's hard to say that you "like" this movie, because it's filled with awfulness. But it was just so incredibly well written -- the dialogue was amazing, the pacing was good. It had a compelling narrative. And most of all, it didn't tell me everything. It left some of the story for me to figure out. I appreciate a screenwriter and director who trust their audience to be intelligent viewers. This is my Best Picture pick, not because it was my favorite. But because I think it deserves to win. It's the best of the pictures when you take all things -- narrative, pacing, cinematography, acting, etc -- into consideration.

"The Post," Five Diet Cokes
I took a big break between "Three Billboards" and "The Post," mainly because I had such incredibly high expectations for this movie. Tom Hanks as Ben Bradlee? Meryl Streep in a movie that's mostly about freedom of the press? SIGN ME UP! I loved the shit out of this movie. I cried and cried and cried. The acting was stellar (of course), but Bob Odenkirk was the big surprise. I know him mostly as Saul from "Breaking Bad," but he found depth as an actor in this movie that I didn't think he had. Everything about it was amazing, including its message. Lots of feels for this writer who often wishes she'd been a journalist.

"Call Me by Your Name," Three Diet Cokes
I didn't hate this movie, but I also didn't love it. And it has nothing to do with its subject and everything to do with its pacing. God, it was so SLOW. So very very very slow. So many touches and glances that lingered -- which I understand. We were building up to a big big moment. But it could have built faster, without the two-minute shots of the Italian countryside and all the bike riding and apricot-juice drinking. Watching a movie about a young man's first experience with another more experienced man in a theater is kind of interesting though. There's an incredibly uncomfortable scene in this film that involves a peach, and the man behind me was like "OH NO. Don't do it." I thought that was pretty humorous. It's actually one of the only movies I've ever been in when the audience leaves in silence. Anyway, I can appreciate the artistry and acting in this film, but it dragged too much for me to really love it. (I checked my watch 45 minutes into the movie. Plus I had my dinner planned before I left the theater. It did not keep my brain engaged.)

"Darkest Hour,' Five Diet Cokes
I made a game-time decision to try to get one more theater movie in today, and this was still playing. Holy crap, was it good! Gary Oldman was spectacular! The whole movie really is about his acting. He's in almost every scene. I will add, though, that Kristin Scott Thomas was remarkable as his wife, as was the guy who played King George VI and the woman who played Churchill's secretary. This movie seems like it might be boring and draggy from the description, but it's nothing of the sort. I'm so happy I went to see this. Bawled like a baby for the last five minutes. Sigh. Anyway, Oldman deserves the Best Actor award for this movie.

And I deserve some antacids for all the popcorn I've put away in the last few weeks.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pandemic Log: 4-7-2020

This Santa Reminds Me of a Penis I Once Knew

Pandemic Log: 3-20-20