The Best Part of Lent

Lent comes and goes and most folks don't notice. I grew up Presbyterian, and for us Lent is a somber time of hymns written in minor keys underscored by unspoken relief that we're not Catholic — ergo we don't have to give shit up. While it's not the protestant practice to sacrifice something during Lent, I do think it's a good time to engage in some sort of restraint. Like last year, this year I gave up Facebook. But I also added in sweets and junk food. A few weeks in, and my brain and body feel a little less toxic.

But while Lent can be a time of self-reflection and sacrifice, everyone in these parts knows it's about one thing: FISH FRIES.

Oh man, these Catholic parishes and their delicious, delicious fried fish. I grew up two houses down from a Catholic church, and every Lenten Friday afternoon and evening smelled like heaven (well, if heaven served fried fish sandwiches). I was actually invited to a fry tonight with the Pittsburgh Fish Fry Queen herself, but I've been feeling a little woozy the past few days. (I don't know why. Hoping it's a virus and not a horrible tumor that's been causing my sinus pain, teeth problems and general sense of malaise.) But since I was working at home, I risked my wooziness and headed to the local parish to have a sandwich and fries for late lunch, and buy some homemade pierogies to heat up later.

This place did not disappoint.

Just look at this sandwich! It's HUGE! I cut the fish in half and brought it home for later. The fries were crisp and tasty. I've been to many a fish fry where everything was soggy, but not today. The trick, my friends, is to arrive as soon as the doors open. Work at home. Take a PTO day if you need to. But damn. Get it while it's crispy. This was some fine fish. (Also, big bonus to the parish for using Heinz ketchup.)

The parish in my neighborhood also sells precooked pierogies by the dozen, in potato and cheese or sauerkraut varieties. All you need to do at home is sauté some onions in melted butter, and you've got dinner. Apparently it's quite a process. They have pierogie-making nights each Wednesday (when you can also volunteer to make sauerkraut balls, which sounds like my own personal hell) and "pierogie pinching" night on Thursday. As soon as the doors opened, folks were buying multiple dozens to take home. (I think I heard one woman ask for eight dozen!) They look a little bit like dinner rolls in the photo, but a friend assures me they're delicious. I can't wait to try them!

Thank god I didn't give up fish fries!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pandemic Log: 4-7-2020

This Santa Reminds Me of a Penis I Once Knew

Pandemic Log: 3-20-20