Biting Off More Than I Can Chew (as Long as It's Not Cookies)

Or, Change Is Hard, Yo.

Detoxing your mind and your body at the same time ain't easy, folks. In fact, I wonder if I might have bitten off more than I can chew this year. Last year, I just gave up Facebook and had enough trouble with that for the first few weeks. This year, I'm dealing with mad junk food cravings on top of it. So I can't neb around on people's social media accounts and I can't eat away my worry that everyone's out there having fun without me. Good times.

To deal with that, I'm going to tell you what I would have posted on Facebook today, and then I'm going to tell you what I would have eaten these last few days had I not made this commitment to Making a Better Me.

Facebook Posts I Didn't Make Because Facebook Sucks and I Don't Need It
  • <Photo of order that arrived from Penzey's today> "Squeee! So many new spices to try. It's like Christmas all over again!"
  • <Photo of air-fried french fries> "Busted out the air fryer again and made homemade fries, this time with Trader Joe's 'Everything But the Bagel' seasoning. YUM."
  • "I really want some cookies."
Apparently, the world isn't any worse off for losing my Facebook presence.

Foods I've Been Dreaming About
  • Scones. OH THE SCONES. They have delicious scones in the cafe at work and I love them and miss them. I almost waved at them through the glass of the pastry case Friday. "Good morning, lovely scones. I'll be back with you in six short weeks. AND THEN I WILL EAT YOU ALL!"
  • Something sweet after dinner. I didn't even realize that I often grab a few Hershey Kisses or something similar after dinner until my body started craving it Thursday night. Calm down, body. I'm not getting any kisses and you're not either.
  • Girl Scout Cookies. My coworker bought a ton of cookies and she was walking around with an open box of Tagalongs on Friday. I politely declined, but my inner Cookie Monster was screaming "COOOOOOOOOOKIEEEEEEEEEEE!"
It's only been a few days, and it'll take me a few weeks to settle into my new habits — and then things start getting a lot easier. But since I'm not eating junk and I'm not posting junk, I have more time. I'm finally rehabbing an ankle that went south doing yoga late last year. I'm walking a bit with the physical therapist's approval. I'm doing all my PT homework because the therapist terrifies me and I don't want her to yell at me.  I'm trying to pack my lunch and cook healthy dinners. I'm tracking my calories. I'm dreaming of summer afternoons, reading in the sunshine. I'm not writing as much as I should be, but I'm trying.

Oh how I'm trying.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pandemic Log: 4-7-2020

This Santa Reminds Me of a Penis I Once Knew

Pandemic Log: 3-20-20