Pandemic Log: 3-25-2020

Status: Possibly comatose or narcoleptic? But technically still alive and kicking
Mood: Weary
Snacks: The only healthy thing I ate today was applesauce.

I think the existential dread of the COVID-19 pandemic hit me fast and hard in these past 24 hours. I'm sleeping so much, and when I'm not sleeping I'm eating. Clearly this can't continue, but no one really prepared me to live through the plague. There was no Plague Survival 101 in college. I didn't excel in Girl Scout survival-type activities. Most badges I earned were for reading, learning about history, cooking and sewing. Sure, I earned some camping badges and even one for horseback riding (shiver), but I was convinced both experiences were designed specifically to kill me. I am not what you would call brave. Keep Calm and Carry On? Pffft. More like There's Always a Reason to Worry. It's exhausting.

I wonder if you move through quarantine stages like you do grief. First you calmly shop for food and hope for the best, then you panic and order tons of coffee and booze. Next you organize your home office and clean the house. One day you wake up weary from the weight of it all, wondering if you can leave the house or if you'll get sick. Sigh. I don't know what comes next, but I hope it involves weight loss and a sudden aversion to chocolate.

People keep on saying "when we get to the other side of this," but my main struggle is that I don't know what that other side looks like. I don't know who will be lost and who will still be here. I don't know what happens to the world. I don't know what happens to our society. Do we just head back to the office one day, pick up our Starbucks and forget about that weird spring in 2020 when the world turned upside down? I don't think we do. It's so much to process and take in. So I'm going to bed.

But not before I share this photo of last night's epic Polenta Waffle fail.

Proof that you cannot waffle everything.





Comments

  1. Susie, you just need to rely on your religion and know God has this!🙏

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pandemic Log: 4-7-2020

This Santa Reminds Me of a Penis I Once Knew

Pandemic Log and Solo Karaoke: 4-28/29-2020