Bonus Post: Observations on Four Facebook-Free Days

I spent my first Facebook-free day at home. I did what I thought was a pretty solid day's work: edited a client's website. Fixed another broken web thing. Read and responded to a ton of emails. Carefully checked a layout of a new publication against the master version with comments and changes, and then proofread it and compiled yet another set of changes.

Whew! That's a good day's work. Except when I looked at the clock, it had only been four hours. FOUR HOURS.

Somehow, Facebook had been stealing half my day.

In addition to being more productive at work, I've also found better ways to spend my time. I've texted friends instead of reading their social media updates. I've met up with people in person. I've made more plans to get together with other people. I've started exploring new music. (Panic! At the Disco!). I went shopping with my sister and I never once took my phone out of my pocket. (Wait. I did once. Because I got a text message confirming a coffee meetup with a DUDE next week. But that's a different blog post and not anything to get too excited about.) I've enjoyed my interactions with people in the world a bit more, with the exclusion of the salesman in my last post.

Above all, I've lost the constant sense of anger and foreboding I had been carrying with me. I can choose when I read the news, and I don't have to know anyone's opinion about it. The only vicious rhetoric I tolerate is the critical voice in my head. But even then, with nothing to compare myself to, I feel much more content about myself, my accomplishments and how I live my life.

Tomorrow, I will bake my first peach pie.

In short, Facebook is evil.

But I do miss the recipes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pandemic Log: 4-7-2020

This Santa Reminds Me of a Penis I Once Knew

Pandemic Log: 3-20-20