In the Home Stretch

"Look at where you are. Look at where you started."

We're a week away from Easter and I'm something like 13 posts shy of achieving my 40 in 40 goal. Sigh.

Rather than accepting that I'm a big ol' failure (Bitch Brain is working hard these days), I'm instead determined to somehow make this happen. Posting twice a day may cut into my online shopping time, but I'm determined to do it.

The lesson here is that time does fly as you age. At the beginning of Lent, which this year started on March 1, it's easy to forget how quickly five weeks and change can go. Easter's late this year, but sometimes Lent starts in the heart of February, when I'm convinced winter will never end. And while in those years we still may have a chilly Easter, the early spring flowers have usually shown some signs of blooming, the grass is growing and the earth is coming back to life. It's a welcome transition but it happens fast. And this year, all the time I thought I had to do some great writing is almost gone.

But, the lost time aside, I've made great progress during this time that's cause for a smile or two. This is the most I've ever written in a non-work capacity for my entire life, so I'm proud that I've stuck with it as much as I have. And while I did write a few throwaway posts, most of them had substantive content.

What pleases me most, though, is that I haven't touched my personal Facebook account since February 28. Does Facebook miss me? No. Do I miss it? A little bit. But I really did a lot more with friends in person during the last month than I have in ages, and it's been fantastic. I almost wish we could all go back to a time when Facebook didn't construct our realities for us. When we just met for coffee and chatted for a few hours with the folks we care about. Being off Facebook has forced me to slow down, reach out to people, make plans and enjoy the world around me. I feel happier than I have in ages. Content with myself (sort of), happy with life (for the most part) and far less concerned about how I stack up with everyone else in the universe.

Now the baseball game's on and it's gorgeous outside, so it's time for me to do what I do best: read a book and enjoy the sunshine. Get out there and live life off Facebook, folks. If I can do it, you can do it too. Put your phone down, raise your face to the sun. The fact that you're alive is a miracle, so enjoy it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pandemic Log: 4-7-2020

This Santa Reminds Me of a Penis I Once Knew

Pandemic Log and Solo Karaoke: 4-28/29-2020