It Started With Pie and Ends With Eggs (and Pretzel Salad)

At the beginning of this Lenten blogging journey, I made a pie. It's only fitting, then, that my penultimate post be the goodies that I made for Easter today.

Peanut butter eggs. Not bad for a first attempt.
First, I decided to take a crack at making homemade peanut butter easter eggs. The result? Not too shabby. They look lovely, but the filling is only so-so. Next time, I think I'll just use my sister's buckeye filling recipe for the peanut butter part. Also, I used semi-sweet chocolate for the outside, and they may have been better with milk chocolate. But regardless, they're adorable and definitely edible.

My mom also instructed my sister and I to "bring our favorite thing" to Easter lunch tomorrow. She's going to have all the real food handled, so I thought showing up with a giant tuna noodle casserole might be ridiculous. (I LOVE tuna noodle casserole. In fact, I think it's what's for dinner tonight.) I narrowed it down to stuffing (which I also love) or pretzel salad. Once the thought of pretzel salad entered my mind, though, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Mmmm. That delicious, sweet-salty pretzel crust, with the cream-cheesy/Cool-Whippy middle, topped with all that delicious strawberry-filled Jello. I really eat way too little pretzel salad.

I can taste the deliciousness now.
What I learned from the pretzel salad is that my fridge isn't level. All the strawberry goodness was leaning more heavily toward the one end than the other when I took it out for its beauty shot. Since it was still congealing, I jostled it around a bit to even things up, and put a stack of paper towels under it in the fridge to help. Worse comes to worse, we'll eat the berry-laden side tomorrow.

There's something so rewarding about making good, homemade recipes for other people. The egg recipe was new to me, but the pretzel salad recipe is as old as the oldest church cookbook I have. I like leaving the newfangled stuff to other people while I keep old traditions alive.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pandemic Log: 4-7-2020

This Santa Reminds Me of a Penis I Once Knew

Pandemic Log and Solo Karaoke: 4-28/29-2020