Restocking the Booze Supply

Spring! Yay!

My neighbor mowed my lawn today, and with the smell of grass in the warm air and baseball season in full swing,  I immediately felt compelled to do what all normal people do this time of year: stock up on spring beer.

Most people I know like all the trendy pumpkin beers and stouts and whatnot that hit the shelves in the fall. Gag. That stuff is gross. But I love me some spring beer. The problem is that by the time it's actually sit-on-the-porch-swing-with-a-good-beer weather, the spring beers are gone and Octoberfests  are out. (I blame you, pumpkin drinkers, for fall beer creep. Calm the hell down and drink in season.) If you're a spring or early summer seasonal person, you have to think ahead, sometimes by a few months.

So off I went today, to my favorite Giant Eagle, on a quest for Troeg's Cultivator, a delicious helles bock that's everything good about beer. It's sort of malty and a little bitter. It's rich without being heavy. It's the perfect end to a long week on a warm Friday.

And of course, I couldn't find it.

My Giant Eagle Beer Lady said she had a call with Troegs on her agenda for the day and she would ask about it. She knows it's coming in, but she's not quite sure when, because a new IPA is their big featured beer now. (Damn you, IPAs! Damn you!) She encouraged me to call her and ask about it later this week, and seemed to legitimately appreciate my interest in their beer selection.

While I was there, I picked up some Bell's Oberon and Brooklyn Brown, just to get started. With two six packs of Cultivator to join them, we'll be set for the summer.

As you may recall from last week's post, I was also suffering from a serious depletion in the whiskey supply at Casa de Loseafatty, so I stopped at the liquor store today, too. As I surveyed my purchases at the checkout, I chuckled and said to the clerk, "You can tell I have way more discerning taste in whiskey than I do in wine." Both she and the woman behind me cracked up. Because on the counter I'd placed a bottle of Jameson Caskmates, some Maker's Mark — and a $10 box of pinot grigio. Hey, it keeps better in the box, it's easier to drink straight out of the box and I don't have to uncork it. Plus if you're spending $80 on whiskey, you need to compromise on something else.

Now if you don't mind, I have some drinking to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pandemic Log: 4-7-2020

This Santa Reminds Me of a Penis I Once Knew

Pandemic Log and Solo Karaoke: 4-28/29-2020